Sunday, May 11, 2014

I Just Can't Forget


I remember the sunshine on my back.
I remember the stars breathing on my lips. 
I remember the roses I layed at her feet and the tears that drowned her mothers shoulder. 
I remember when mama taught me how to pray. 
I remember teaching mama how to love. 
I remember my childhood. It becomes harder and harder to forget when it's constantly whispering in my ears...asking me to come back...just for a little while.
I remember my sisters first heart break. 
I remember her sobs reminding me of the boy who stole my first heart and broke my first kiss. 
I remember feeling helpless. 
I remember my first poem. 
I remember Barbie doll.
I remember people caring...
I remember English sophomore year and I'll never forget Nelson teaching me what it really meant to write. 
I'll always remember wishing I had said thank you sooner.
I remember the boy who told me he loved me, and for the first time in my life I remember not being afraid. 
I remember always being afraid, and now I'm remembering feeling alive. 
I remember the lights, and the words formed on my lips, but you kissed me too soon and I swallowed them with the blue Gatorade I stole out of your fridge.
I remember your mom yelling your curfew at us as we drove towards the mountains and I remember loving you like it was yesterday. 
I remember loving you today, and I think I could remember loving you for a long time after this. 

Kenzie
(Daveni)

5 comments:

  1. 'but you kissed me too soon and I swallowed them with the blue Gatorade I stole out of your fridge.
    I remember your mom yelling your curfew at us as we drove towards the mountains and I remember loving you like it was yesterday.
    I remember loving you today, and I think I could remember loving you for a long time after this. '
    I could frame this section for my wall. I think I might.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I remember her sobs reminding me of the boy who stole my first heart and broke my first kiss." this is fantastic. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write about love better than anyone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't choose just one line to steal. I just love your writing so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "broke my first kiss" LOVE. I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete