Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Nostalgia's a B*tch.

Heart racing fast. I wish I could tell you how much I miss those days...
how much I miss you.
Lately I've been sick. The doctors can't diagnose it.
But I think it's nostalgia. Insomnia. Schizophrenia.
I'm suffocating, drowning in these memories. And I want so many of them to be real.
All of them.
Most of them.
Some of them.
None of them.

You looked at me with those green eyes, and then she was gone.
And now I'm 10 and I don't even know what love is.
I thought I was in love with Aaron Carter cause he wanted candy.
And I thought I was candy. And I thought that was love.

You looked at me with those green eyes, and then dad was gone.
And now I'm 7 and I accidentally walked in on my mother crying.
So I walked out.
Papers in a purse and Dora on the TV screen. And swiper keeps stealing my things
and scraping my knees.
Thank God daddy's back. I need a band-aid.

You looked at me with those green eyes, and now you're gone.
And I'm 75 still looking for some crayons, but mom doesn't keep them in the house anymore.
Digital paints, and markers on a glass screen,
and that was my little sister's childhood
and I'm sorry for her.

I couldn't ever bring myself to color inside the lines
but she's a straight arrow. 
So much potential to make beautiful things and a glass screen consumes her thoughts.
I'm pedaling away on a bike I never ride anymore and
drowning in a kiddie pool that has a hole in it.
I'm coloring on the walls with markers that are dried out and
eating cherries with a grandpa who's in heaven.

I'm laying in the sun getting skin cancer 
and I don't even care.

Daveni.
 

12 comments:

  1. It's like your fighting against nostalgia and also trying soak up every last bit. That's just what it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I loved how you did the age thing, like what love meant to you at that age. That was way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a stunning writer. I'm smitten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "eating cherries with a grandpa who's in heaven."

    WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PUT AN ARROW THROUGH MY HEART?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just really like this.
    rrrrrrr yeah it's just fantastic, really

    ReplyDelete
  6. "And now I'm 10 and I don't even know what love is.
    I thought I was in love with Aaron Carter cause he wanted candy.
    And I thought I was candy. And I thought that was love."

    "Thank God daddy's back. I need a band-aid."


    Wow. Both of these stolen so fast. Great job. #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I've already commented on this, but I'm so in love with it. The more I read it the more I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I'm suffocating, drowning in these memories. And I want so many of them to be real." #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I'm laying in the sun getting skin cancer and I don't even care" #stolen. And the rest of it... #stolen

    ReplyDelete
  10. "And now I'm 75 still looking for some crayons and Mom doesn't keep them in the house anymore..." God you are great.

    ReplyDelete